Thursday, November 9, 2017

One Month Out From Stroke


post stroke, slightly shorter beard, and the ole brain at 80% or so...

It has been one month, one week, and several days since my stroke.  Actually, I had two strokes and the ‘big’ one was on 30 September. 

What does one do for one month while recovering from a stroke?  My vision was damaged during the stroke.  This is a fairly common event in a stroke.   Initially, I could not really read or see well at all.  At one month out, I can read some now, and I am back in the reading and research business.  Some formats, such as Kindle, are more readable to me.  Other formats are difficult to read for me.  My eyes do not ‘team’ well now, which is a reason the reading is a challenge.
I lost my peripheral vision on my right side, so no more driving for me until that comes back.

The doctors do not have a clue how much, if any, of my vision shall return.  It is a very individual thing.  Strokes are like that and each case is different.  I may get the vision back tomorrow, or... I may never get it back.  I have talked to many people with strokes now and read testimonies from stroke survivors, and some recover fine, some do not.   So, I am in a wait and see (no pun intended) mode.

The rest of the recovery seems to be going ok.  I still have crashing headaches and a lot of fatigue.  During the day I take several naps.  Of course, I am on meds to insure no more blood clots, which caused the strokes.  I am told, I do not have any obvious ‘triggers’ for a stroke.  I do not have high blood pressure, I am fit, I have normal blood sugar level, do not smoke cigarettes, etc., so the reasons and causes of the stroke are a mystery at present.  I still have more doctor visits, so something in the way of a cause may turn up as they examine me. 

The last month was a blur.  Time had little meaning for me.  A day, a week, a month, it all seemed the same.  I kept my mind busy.  I developed an interest in several topics which  I listened to on my Ipad.  I studied the Desert Fathers of the early church, I studied quantum physics, gravity wave theory, paranormal phenomenon, I listened to medieval chants. In the last week in October I began to read again.  Reading a book was difficult, but I persevered.  The book I read was by Louis L’Amour, one of his Sackett series books, this one called Galloway.  I enjoyed the book.  I do not often read fiction, but the L’Amour book was entertaining and soothing to me.  I suppose just reading anything at this point is good exercise for my wounded eyes.

There is humour in even tragic events sometimes... my stroke happened on 30 September, in Oxford, Mississippi.  I was taken to a hospital in Oxford.  There, it was apparent that the stroke was serious, so there was a decision to place me on a helicopter and fly me to Memphis Tennessee.  Now at the time, I could not talk, I barely knew my name as I had aphasia.   The decision was made to move me to Memphis and as I say, I could not talk, but in the midst of the doctors and family around me I said in a very clear well-spoken voice, ‘I do not want to go to Memphis.’   Despite the grim scene going on around me, this did bring smiles and chuckles.
 


One other note to you ALL... learn the symptoms of stroke.   If you think you have any symptoms, immediately get medical help.  If you attend the symptoms in a rapid manner, you can avoid having the stroke and save yourself a tonne of pain, trouble, and problems, not to mention expenses.  Learn the stroke symptoms; get medical help if you have stroke symptoms.  There are new techniques, new drugs, that work miracles, if you get medical help quickly. 

No comments: